Clinical Pharmacy Post-Pharm.D. Fellowships
in the Biomedical Research Sciences
NAME OF AWARDS:
AFPE CLINICAL PHARMACY POST-PHARM.D. FELLOWSHIPS IN THE BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH SCIENCES
PURPOSE OF AWARDS:
To enable a Pharm.D.-level clinical pharmacist to obtain advanced education,
training, and expertise in relevant areas of the biomedical and related
basic sciences in order to become a competent clinical scientist
in academia, the pharmaceutical industry, institutional settings, or government
able to create and maintain a prominent peer-reviewed research program
and make major contributions to the biomedical and pharmaceutical
sciences. The Fellowship is not intended to support clinical training
To generate skilled clinical scientists capable of conducting and teaching clinically oriented research, advanced training is required in disciplines beyond that provided in a Pharm.D. program. These advanced disciplines may include, for example, advanced statistics and biostatistics, biochemical pharmacology, pharmaceutics, pharmacodynamics, pharmacoeconomics, pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacokinetics, and research design/mathematical modeling.
NUMBER OF AWARDS and STIPENDS:
This award will not be made in 2009. One (1) award at $27,500 per year
for up to two years. Funds are considered a grant direct to the student.
None may be diverted for institutional overhead. A portion of the stipend
may be used for necessary benefit costs, including travel, relocation
expense, health insurance or other such costs designated by the Fellowship
recipient and Mentor. The number of AFPE Post-Pharm.D. Fellowships awarded
each year depends on the availability of funds.
A decided preference will be given to candidates who propose a fellowship
away from their present affiliation. Applicants cannot be enrolled
in a Ph.D. degree program during the two-year period.
The applicant shall:
- Have received the Pharm.D. degree within the past ten (10) years. (May also hold a B.S. and/or M.S.; but not an M.D., D.Sc., or Ph.D.).
- Have (or will have completed in the year the application is submitted) a postdoctoral clinical residency and/or clinical fellowship program of at least one-year duration.
- Agree to carry out the Fellowship on a full-time basis and will not engage in any part-time work. Sabbatical leave salaries may be accepted. If the applicant is a faculty member, he/she will provide a letter with his/her application from his/her Dean and Department Chair assuring that the applicant will be relieved of all teaching, advisory, service, clinical, and administrative responsibilities during the two-year Fellowship.
- Be able to provide evidence of acceptance for the desired postdoctoral training by a suitable mentor at a recognized academic/research institution not necessarily a college of pharmacy. Potential mentors will be judged solely by professional qualifications and experience and may hold a Ph.D., D.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., or other advanced degree.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Agree not to accept any other external fellowship, scholarship, or grant award such as from NIH, AHA, ACS, ACCP, or any other organization or government agency during the term of this AFPE award.
Application forms and related guidelines should be requested by letter,
telephone, or fax from AFPE or download the Word
Document here. Application forms may be available in the Dean's office
at schools/colleges of pharmacy.
Successful applicants must submit a Proposed Research Report, an Interim Progress Report, and a Final Progress Report. Instructions for the organization of this report are available from AFPE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE and SELECTION PROCEDURE:
This award will not be made in 2009.
Detailed Program Description | Download
Application | Profiles of